Whether you’re accepting an Oscar or community recognition, Toastmasters International offers these proven tips for delivering a powerful acceptance speech for any type of award:
- Show your personality. Your acceptance speech should come from the heart.
- Be gracious. Acknowledge the good work done by your competitors and thank the organization that selected you for the award.
- Show excitement. You don’t have to climb over chairs or even cry, but the audience should recognize that you’re happy to have won the award.
- Be modest. Your acceptance speech should be heartfelt but not self-congratulatory.
- Practice, practice, practice. Rehearse with a timer, memorize key people to thank and allow time for the unexpected.